Why gum health is importantDr. McKenzie provides healthy, nonsurgical treatment options for patients with periodontal (gum) disease. However, she believes that the best cure for any problem is prevention, and she is dedicated to helping her patients maintain healthy gums for life.
Did you know? Keeping your gums healthy may help:Video Transcript
- Keep your natural teeth strong and healthy for life
- Avoid cavities, especially along the gumline
- Manage certain systemic diseases such as diabetes more easily
- Improve the appearance of your smile, because gum recession can make teeth appear uneven or too long
- Keep your mouth sparkling clean, and your breath kissably fresh
The 3 stages of gum disease are gingivitis, periodontitis, and advanced periodontitis. Gingivitis is caused by toxins irritating the gum line as a result of plaque buildup. Signs and symptoms of gingivitis includes swelling, sensitivity, and bleeding of the gums during brushing and flossing. Gingivitis can be easily reversed through professional care and good home oral hygiene. Periodontitis is categorized by irreversible bone loss that results from untreated gingivitis. The gums may begin to form a pocket below the gum line which traps food and plaque. Dental treatment and home care can help prevent from further damage, but at this stage, the results are not reversible. Advanced periodontitis is when the fibers and bones supporting the teeth destroyed. This may cause teeth to shift or loosen. Teeth may have to be removed depending on how advanced the disease has become and if treatments are not effective. You can begin by preventing gum disease with good oral health. Pick up a brochure or ask your dentist today.
Naturally wonderfulThe secret to successful prevention is stopping bacteria before they colonize. Brushing and flossing is vital, but some bacteria will always be present and it’s not possible to clean every pit, fissure, nook, and cranny. Therefore, a threefold approach is needed. Your first line of defense is oral hygiene and regular professional cleanings to remove plaque and tartar. Next is a healthy immune system to protect from the inside out. Finally, nontoxic, immune boosting, and bacteria-fighting oral care products help protect your gums from the outside in.
Don’t worry; you don’t need harsh chemicals or invasive treatments to keep disease and infection at bay. We offer:I am deeply grateful I was guided to Dr. Mckenzie and her staff to help with my healing process (I diagnosed with stg 4 colorectal cancer that metastasized in my lymph nodes and liver in April 2013). Her treatment plan for me is exactly what I was looking for to help in my healing journey ... And quite honestly her costs extremely reasonable and her care priceless ... Thank you Dr. McKenzie & staff... Jamie E.Read More
- PerioComfort™ Soothing Gel – A proprietary blend of organic ingredients, including ethically wildcrafted herbals, essential oils, and patented Phytoplenolin® provide fast relief from gum or tooth discomfort. It helps soothe, restore, and strengthen distressed tissues, leaving your mouth feeling clean and your breath minty fresh.
- PerioClear™ Alcohol-Free Mouthwash – Enjoy hours of fresh breath and help protect your periodontal health with this natural, non-alcohol mouth rinse. The organic blend of powerful essential oils and respectfully gathered wildcrafted herbal ingredients work together synergistically, to freshen breath, and hydrate and protect oral tissues. The ingredients include Folic Acid, Co-Q10, Peppermint oil, Clove oil, Thyme oil, Oregano oil, Olive Leaf, Green Tea, Echinacea, and Phytoplenolin®.
- PeriDent Tooth Soap & Whitener – It may not be the most attractive name, but it is an excellent, natural product to help you maintain an attractive smile. It contains stain removing baking soda, acid neutralizing calcium carbonate, and bacteria fighting Xylitol, along with a proprietary blend of essential oils.
What Our Patients Say About Healthy Gums Treatment
Maintaining good periodontal health is just one of many reasons to visit us every six months. We are here to help you keep your smile dazzling!
Give us a call at (404) 900-5175
and schedule an appointment today.